Welcome to our help page. Click on a question below to be taken to its answer. When you're done reading the answer, click "Back to Top" to return to the list of questions here. If you have a question that isn't answered on this page, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to register on this site and manage your volunteer account
- How to search and sign up for volunteer opportunities
- I had a user account in the old Hands On Asheville-Buncombe website. Do I have an account in this website too?
- I forgot my username. How do I retrieve that information?
- I forgot my password. How do I retrieve that information?
- Do I need an e-mail address to register?
- I recently changed my email address and I'm having trouble logging into my account using my new email address as my user name. What should I do?
- How do I remove myself from a project so that others can take my place?
- I have been waitlisted. Now what?
- I'm not receiving auto confirmation or reminder emails for projects that I've signed up for. Why?
- I am a court-ordered volunteer. How do I use this website to find qualifying volunteer opportunities?
- I want to find a volunteer opportunity that can accommodate my group. What's the best way to get started?
- I'm under 18 and interested in volunteering. What do I need to know about using this website?
- I want to volunteer with my children. How do we get started?
- My hours aren't showing up correctly. Why?
- I've created a user account and have listed my skills in my profile. So far no organization has contacted me to let me know that they need my help. Why?
- My question is not listed on this page. How can I get some help?
**Please note - not all website functionality mentioned in the video is available at this time: including requesting verification of hours for referral projects and skill based opportunities functions.
If you were a Hands On Asheville-Buncombe volunteer before November 2011, an account has already been created for you in the new system. For security purposes, your password was reset when we updated our website. The first time you access your account on our new website, you'll need to activate your account and create a new password:
- Go to www.handsonasheville.org
- Click on the Login button
- Enter your username (your email address) and click "Forgot password?"
- You'll receive an email with a temporary password
- Log in to your account with the temporary password, go to the "personal information" tab. Scroll down the page until you see the box where you can enter a new password.
Your username is your unique email address. If you can't remember which address you used, please e-mail us at email@example.com and a Hands On staff member will contact with you within 3 to 5 business days.
Click the "LOGIN" button on the top right of the home page. Enter your username and click "Forgot password?" An email with a temporary password will be sent to you.
Yes. Our website uses your email address to identify you and send you important information about any opportunities you sign up for. If you do not have an email account, you can get one free of charge from www.yahoo.com or gmail.com. Free internet access is also available from most public libraries.
If at any point you log in to your account and update your user profile with a new email address, your user name will NOT automatically be updated. If you'd like for us to update your account so that your new email address will become your user name, please contact us so we can make that adjustment to your account. In your email, please indicate your old email address and the new email address. Please allow 5-7 business days for your account to be updated. In the meantime, login using your old email address as your username. Confused? Contact us.
If you need to remove yourself from a project:
- Log-in to your account
- Go to the "My Account" tab
- Under the "Upcoming Opportunities" section, find the project you cannot attend
- Click "Remove Me."
If you have to cancel less than 24 hours of the project, please follow the steps above to remove yourself from the project and call the Opportunity Coordinator to notify him/her (Opportunity Coordinator contact information is found in your confirmation email.)
If a space opens up, you'll be notified by email. If you still wish to attend that project, log in to your account, return to that project's sign-in page, and sign up. Open spaces will be filled on a first-come/first-served basis.
The spam filter on your email account may automatically be routing these e-mails to your junk or bulk mail folder. To help avoid this, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book. If that still doesn't work, Contact us.
Please visit our Court-Ordered Volunteering resource page for more information.
Please visit our Group Volunteering page for more information.
Please visit our Youth and Family Volunteering page for more information.
Please visit our Youth and Family Volunteering page for information and project ideas for family volunteers.
If you volunteered at a Hands On Managed Flex Project, your hours will be reported, but it may take a week or so for them to show up in your account.
If you volunteered with one of our partner organizations, your hours will not be recorded in our system but you can contact them to see if they can verify your hours.
In our new system, self-reported hours were not transferred over, so your account may show fewer hours than what you had before. Currently, there is no option to self-report hours you have completed through another community organization within your user account. Currently, our database can only track hours from opportunities that were managed by us.
In the future, (with a volunteer's permission) there will be ways for our Partner Agencies to search for volunteers who have certain skills listed in their user profile. However, this function is not yet available to Partner Agencies. In the meantime, it is up to you to search for opportunities that match your skills, interests and availability through the “search opportunities” webpage.
We're always happy to help answer your questions. Please call 255-0696 or e-mail us at email@example.com.